lunedì 23 gennaio 2012

Victor Florido

Can you describe your work, content of your work?
I work trying to create atmospheres in my paintings, moods. I´m interested in the uncanny, and how familiar things in their usual context can become theatrical and threatening.  I usually take the canvass as a stage, where a story is being told, but in which we`re left with one still image to look at.
What are you working on?
Right now I´m working on an installation for a gallery, recreating the spaces from my paintings.

What inspires you?
David Lynch, Alejandro Jodorowsky, J.L.Borges, Gregor Schneider, Matt Mullican.

What you hope to evoke from your viewer?
I hope people can experience the dullness of color and the lack of certainties, midway between understanding and not understanding at all.

How your work has grown and changed?
I´ve always been interested in the subjects described above.  But as I improved my skills as a painter I also became more able to manipulate narrative elements in order to make my paintings more effective.

Do you experiment with different materials a lot or do you prefer to work within certain parameters?
I prefer to work with oil paint. I believe that mastering the use of one material is a big step in an artist´s development. Experimenting with a wide spectrum of artistic practices can prevent the mastering of any.

Can you tell me something about your residence at Rijksakademie?
It was an interesting experience; maybe I was a bit too young then. But it helped me to reconsider painting as a problem in itself, and to broaden up my scope of technical resources. In that sense I have to be very thankful to Avis Newman and Lisa Milroy.

Is there anything else you would like to add?
I think today´s art scene is somehow overtaken by ideas come from conceptualism. It is supposed that every artist can describe his work in 500 characters and express his views into written “projects”.  And I believe that many artists do not fit in this frame. Many times we don´t see an art piece before we ask “what is it about”. Art appreciation has become very text-dependent.   And I believe that a big part of the aesthetic experience is left blank due to this kind of one-way approach.  We should also give value to the “not understanding” in art.



Nessun commento:

Posta un commento