giovedì 12 gennaio 2012

Bas Louter

Can you describe your work, the content of your work?
I make series of large scale drawings with charcoal, ink and pastels. 
For the last couple of years mainly portraiture.
My works are centered around images produced by the entertainment industry such as film, theater and music.


What are you working on?
I am currently preparing a solo exhibition at Fruehsorge gallery in Berlin 
taking place later this year.


What inspires you?
The books of J. G. Ballard and Los Angeles.


What you hope to evoke from your viewers?
I am not out on pleasing my audience or showing the things they already know or recognize; instead I prefer to confront them with the uncanny. Things that you claim to recognize but appear to be hollow or empty at a second glance.


How your work has grown and changed?
My work has always evolved through new uses of three- and two-dimensional values. During the last couple of years, the autonomy of the individual works has become more important for my practice, and the tension between three- and two-dimensional perspectives has taken place on the flat surface of the drawings instead of on the installation of them.




Do you experiment with different materials a lot or do you prefer to work within certain parameters?
I need parameters, restrictions.


Can you tell me something about your residence in Rijsakademie?
It was a good time, so many great people. It’s a good place with tons of facilities and interesting advisors, although in general it tends to be a little overrated since it’s so difficult to get in.


Is there anything else you would like to add?
I am preparing a new website.










Nessun commento:

Posta un commento